Sunday, February 22, 2009

Michael's Surgery

On February 12th we drove down to Utah so Michael could have surgery done on his pressure sores. He had a doctors appointment on Thursday and they scheduled the surgery for Friday afternoon. The surgery went good. They made an incision from his upper thigh down to his knee on both legs and stretched his muscle over to his pressure sores. They also took muscle from his thigh to fill in his big sore. The surgery took 4 hours and he had to recover for an hour before we could see him. Everthing went good though and he had no pain at all. He had to stay in the hospital for 7 days and then be on bed rest for 3 more weeks. After the 3 weeks he has to slowly adjust back into the wheelchair and we aren't sure how long that will take. But Michael has a time frame and that is better than what he had before the surgery. And hopefully it will be a permanent fix and we won't have to repeat the process.
Hannah and Gavin had a hard time staying in the hopsital. Michael had to share his room and there wasn't much room to get down and play.

Gavin tried to get down and crawl but he always found trouble. At one point he hit something on the air bed and set off alarms. It took two nurses to figure out what Gavin had hit.


Angela came to the hopsital a couple of times to help me with the kids. Thanks Ang!

3 comments:

Hi! I'm Jeni (Jen, Jennifer, or Mom) said...

I hope recovery goes well for your hubby. It looks like you had lots of fun shopping and playing in Utah!
I still can't get over how cute Gavin is! Soooo adorable.

Camille said...

hey i am really glad Mikes surgery went good. I really hope that you wont have to repeat it again either. I am so impressed in you. I admire your strength adn persistance. The kids see it too. You are a great mom. I'll be keeping in touch with you!

Jordan + Amber + Camryn + Brighton said...

ha ha ha settin off alarms :) Mister Gavin..

I'm glad everything is looking up and that you guys made it home fine. I wish I could be around to help out. I'd love to watch the kids and read with Mike. I miss a lot of things. Family is definitely a big one.